Sunday, October 19, 2008

Progress Redefined

If there was a way to change the things that I want,
 and needed to have in order to fly,
 then I imagine I'd find it eventually.
If there was a way to move my heart forward,
 without pushing it out of my chest,
 then I imagine I'd just stick with that.
If there was a way to render myself innocent,
 without being born all over again and starting with nothing,
 then I imagine I'd spring for it after all my sinning was through.

Then I could stand upon my discovery,
 mark it with the flag of my country,
 and claim it as my own.
Then I could hide it away behind a curtain,
 charge admission for its viewing,
 retire young in Cabo.
Then I could marry the girl of my dreams,
 build a house where we could raise our children,
 and eat pot roast after church, before the game comes on.

I have only found this one way;
 he showed himself to me and gave me no other option,
 and nothing to show for following him.
I have only found this one truth;
 he explained himself to me in my suffering
 by showing me that others suffer, too.
I have only found this one life;
 and it is in the lives of others who are
 broken, wounded, and wanting love.

He who does not love does not know God, becuase God is love.

1 comment: