Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Exposure: Noah's Sin, Ham's Sinful Response

I'm alone; 
   everyone I know is gone.
Even the people who used to ridicule me for building this ship;
   all have been translated to the deep.
Curse this wretched life!
   the terrors of the wind and waves were comfort to this despair!
My comfort lies alone in this mournful drink,
   my salvation is in the cup.

Laying down in the tent, I'm overcome by it.
   Drunkenness passes through my consciousness like a fumbling raider.

Naked I lay;
   Naked and alone.

Coming back to consciousness, I feel a blanket
   the warmth of a blanket that I did not place upon myself.
I'm not alone;
   surely my sons cared for me enough to shield me from my sin
      and despair, and to shield the world from the same.
Stepping outside the tent I find Shem & Japheth;
   they come to my arm to steady me, whispering blessings on their father.

Ham sits, looking away into the darkness.
   Ham sits, looking away from his father.

Shem tells me of the disgrace that has been brought upon me;
   disgrace at the hand of my own sin,
      disgrace at the tongue of my own son.
I'm alone again.
   The love and confidence of two was not enough;
       not enough to cover the boarish prattle of one other.

Naked I stand;
   Naked and alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment