Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Soul Melanoma

I wake up one day to a bump on my arm.
No big deal.

I wake up weeks later and go to the beach.
My friends see the bump.  They're concerned.
No big deal, I say to them.
Life goes on.

Weeks later, I wake up and go to the doctor.
I have a cold.  And a bump.
No big deal, I figure.
Life goes on.

The doctor is concerned, but not very.
He indicates that a biopsy might be the prudent course.
I consent, rolling my eyes a little.

Waking up for my biopsy, I nearly cancel.
I don't have time for this.
But, better safe than sorry?

The results come in: malignant melanoma.
Cancer growing on my outside for all to see.
And I didn't know.  It was no big deal.
Life went on.

But it wouldn't if I didn't do something now.
Without drastic intervention, my life would be lost.
Now I subject myself to even the silliest whim of the physicians.
It's a matter of life and death.
This thing--this alien to my system--it had to go at any cost.
Everything I had wanted in life--everything I had ever loved--
 would all be lost if I didn't take care of this tumor.
This tumor of deceit.

I have not always been an honest person.
I have always had a hunch, and I think others have, too.
Upon realizing what that means to a soul brought to life by God,
 I have consented to whatever forms of surgery He might afford.
It is my only chance of survival.  It is my salvation.
He is my salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment